Clydach Ironworks

This historically important site consists of excavated and semi-restored ruins of a blast furnace.

Clydach Ironworks is a Scheduled Ancient Monument situated at the lower end of the Clydach Gorge, near Abergavenny, in the southeast part of the Brecon Beacons National Park.

The works were built in the late 18th century and operated until 1860. They had a significant influence on the industrial and social development of the area. Their remains can be closely viewed from behind a fence. 

The ruins are a 400m walk from the Clydach Picnic site, a popular picnic and barbecue area. The route is signposted along the tarmac road, across a stone bridge, along a stone dust road and then across an iron bridge.

Visiting Clydach Ironworks

The site is open to the public. Access is free.

How to get there

Clydach Ironworks is signposted from the A465 at Clydach South, between Gilwern and Brynmawr.

Nearest town or village

Gilwern, Brynmawr

OS grid reference

Ordnance Survey Explorer Map 13 or Landranger Map 161 – SO230133

Parking

Small car park and layby

Toilets

In Gilwern. Disabled access toilets (RADAR) in Brynmawr.